Quarterly average multiples by deal size
- This chart analyses the average quarterly multiples by deal size for the six quarters ended 30th June 2018.
- Deals between €250m and €500m reached a peak in Q2 2018 at 12.4x, making it the hottest deal range in the quarter. This deal range also saw the widest range of deal multiples in the quarter.
- The number of deals valued €1bn+ was the highest recorded in the last 18 quarters, though average multiple dropped to 10.9x in Q2 2018, the lowest level since Q1 2017.
- Multiples for deals valued between €500m and €1bn are back in line with the longer term average in Q2 2018, following an abnormal dip in Q1 2018.
- Deal volume for deals with EVs between €100m to €250m has increased by approximately 75% and multiples continue to fluctuate around the six-quarter average.
- The average multiple for deals with EVs between €50m and €100m has continued to decline and moved further away from the six-quarter average making it the best value deal range.
- Sub €50m EV deal multiples continue to fluctuate around the six-quarter average.